31 March 2010

Weekly Book Review Wednesday.....

I recently read the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series - Lightning Thief.  The movie recently came out, and it is my custom to always read the book, prior to viewing the movie.

Before I began reading this book, I anticipated suspense and excitement that I was certain was to come along with this adventure.  However, I found it difficult, initially, to get into this book. I fear that JK Rowling has made it difficult not to compare all other young adult magic/fantasy books to Harry Potter. Even some of the terminology is the same as that in the Harry Potter series (i.e. Half-blood)

I did get past the initial similarities and  became very involved in this fabulous story.  Rick Riordan intermingles the Modern day with the Ancient Greek Gods. Evidently, they now live in America and subject us to their various whims.

Percy is a fine and unsuspecting hero who 'accidentally' saves the day many times.  I look forward to reading about his further quests.  All-in-all, on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, 5 being best, I would give this book 3.5 stars.

No comments: